Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fishing Zero....to Antler Hero!

I feel the need to admit to something. My last two steelhead outings on the river, I was com-plete-ly skunked. I caught Zero, zilch, nothing, nada. I mean, it really isn't so strange to have a bad fishin'day, however the one problem is that on both of these trips my good buddies in the boats caught fish...and more than just one fish a piece. This isn't an easy confession and my fingers tremble of chagrin just writing this post. In all seriousness, these guys are great fishermen, but even better friends. They let me feel like part of the team by letting me net their fish...see I told you they are good freinds.


           Travis and his nice buck steelie...notice me holding the net and the way Travis holds the fish i front me to make me look included on the catch...thanks Travis.


Travis and Chris (the boat captain, and a damn good one)
Trapper and a S. Umpqua native, I netted this one too...



A couple weeks have passed since these two outings and I haven't been fishing since. I've used the excuse I'm too busy (which isn't a lie), but even during the busiest shedules, I have always found a morning or evening to break away and wet a line...maybe, just maybe, I feel like I'm lacking in the ability to catch a steelhead department right now and I am seeking other hobbies, so now that the daffadils are in full bloom and I hear the sound of my old mower engine buzzing as my boy pushes it around the lawn, it feels of springtime which means shed antler season, turkeys, trout fishing, and camping are right around the corner! So with this post we will say adieu to steelhead fishing until next December...and good riddance.

I haven't been too serious about sheds this year, but have made a few hikes, mainly with the kids.We have found around 10-15 fresh antlers so far. Roo found a super whitetail shed on one local trip, while Hunter and I spent a Sunday down in a remote canyon that is straight up and down. That boy did awesome keeping up with the old man as we zig-zagged from area to area looking for antlers. We had a pretty tough day with little luck until we dropped down "the extra mile" and ran into a pot of gold...a set of Cascade Roosevelt elk antlers that are...well, really big. The hike back up and out to the truck was tough but we kept reminding ourselves that if you have to pack a lot of weight, it might as well be either meat or antlers! I couldn't have spent the day with a better hunting partner in a more beautiful setting. It was one of my favorite days ever..


Roo's big find! In all her beauty, I must add.


An oldie but goodie


Hunter's first freshie for the year



Hunter's first elk shed, a decent 5 point

Our big Find!!!

Our nice set we found 200 yards apart!!!








Packin' out

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Whoa. What an incredible find, for sure. I just love seeing these pics of you shed hunting. You've made such a beautiful life with your incredible family and I just love you all. :)

P.S. That Corrinee..I mean..wow. She is beautiful.

Tamara with a "T" said...

Your antler pictures made me get all choked up...well, just a little. I miss you guys! The kids are getting so big and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how you take them with you...

Olin said...

Mike,

As always, when I get to see the outings you go on, I remember my old friend and miss the times we spent hunting, fishing, trapping, and shed hunting. Hopefully we will do it again some day.

Antonio said...

Hey brother,
Love your adventures! Great pics and great find!