Eureka!!!
While going to school in Logan, I learned how to cram. I crammed everything. Tests? I'd cram 2-3 weeks worth of studying in one long night at the 24 hour Mexican dive. Work? I crammed 4 jobs and 16 school credit hours and still managed to have a family/personal life...and loved every minute of it.
I am still a crammer. Sleep comes naturally but I avoid it when I can. This past week, we pointed the pickup towards Utah leaving Oregon at 1:00 AM so the kids could sleep and I could drive in peace as well as spot nocturnal critters you typically don't see while driving in the day. Immediately upon arrival to Utah, my good buddy Jared (who also happens to be a crammer) picked me up and we took off to an undisclosed location to fish for a species I had never caught before and very possibly may never catch again. A tilapia. Yes, I know what you're thinking, tilapia belong in Costa Rica or in the meat department (for those that buy your meat) at Safeway. That is what I was thinking, but leave it up to Jared for the new discovery...and I was obliged to be a part of it.
While driving towards Salt Lake City after fishing, we were discussing our past adventures, I had mentioned there was another fish species in Utah I haven't caught, Arctic grayling. Yes, I know what you're thinking, Arctic grayling belong in the Arctic, not Utah. That is what I was thinking, but leave it up to Jared for knowing a "shortcut" to an alpine lake and creek teeming with hungry grayling....and there happened to be a few smaller lakes full of feisty brookies along the way. Perfect. The 6 mile hike was steep and off the beaten path just like we like it, and the scenery was breathtaking.
Can you see Jared in the center of the photo? It helps put the rock slide in perspective.
Next on the list was to do some hiking and fishing in southern Utah. One morning, I saw the largest typical bull elk I've ever laid my eyes on....I know where he calls home, unfortunately I don't have a tag for the unit...nor did I have my camera so you'll just have to believe me that even from 1.5 miles through the scope I could see 60" beams and somewhere in the 380-400" range. Another morning Emily took a 4 mile hike with me to one of my favorite places in the world. We hiked to the top of the world and enjoyed some great views and wildlife.
Emily was even able to lose her soul on the hike; okay sole, whatever.
Two four-points and four does
While at my parent's place we did the normal stuff: ATV riding in the mountains, small creek fishing for trout, and some dam building.
Damming up Dad's creek...just for fun
We decided to try our luck for some Fish Lake rainbows one day and after a slow start trying my dad's old, reliable jointed-rapalas in just about every color and size, we finally found what was for breakfast, just a plump nite-crawler with some pop-gear. I was able to take all the children and each child was able to catch at least one fish...which was almost as good as watching my dad hook into a 4-5 fat trout on our way back to the marina.
These trout taste too good to hold with only one hand
One afternoon we took the kids whitewater rafting on the Sevier. Although it isn't a river full of class 5 rapids, it is an exciting float for a bunch of kids sitting in the front waiting with great anticipation for the "waterfall" around every bend of the river.
The last day of the trip was spent lazily relaxing in a tube floating down the river with family. It was the perfect way to unwind and begin thinking about the weeks to come and how I'm going to cram work, bear hunting, tuna/salmon fishing and still manage a life.
One day when I'm really, really old with Alzheimer's sitting in a rocking chair, I hope I can flip through the pages of my photos and stories, shake my head in amazement and say," Whoever this guy was sure knew the art of cramming!"
PS. I was out spotting bears tonight and it was 54 degrees...It felt like an Indian summer evening!







3 comments:
Whoa awesome pics! Especially that brookie! wow.
You are very good at cramming. We love you and enjoyed seeing you even for a short time. Great pictures.
Not exactly sure why you get to post pictures of Jared on your blog and he demands that he is not on my blog. I think he must like those pictures of him. (or the fish) Careful when you talk about Emily's soul...whatever... I love the picture of you and Hunter fishing. I think you guys made memories you'll never forget.
Post a Comment