Sunday, October 17, 2010

The 6.5 Swedish Mauser and a new generation of Burrell hunters...

"I'm fine dad, I can do this!" Hunter whispered as he steadied the barrel...

Hunter has made some good shots since he started hunting. I've seen ducks, turkeys, squirrels, and other critters fall to his steady hand; however, this hunt was different. This wasn't just any ol' rabbit hunt, this was Hunter's first deer hunt. Hunter is only eleven and I questioned myself if Hunter had what it would take to could to connect with a deer with a centerfire rifle, but there is only one way to find out!

My good friend Mike Roberts drew a blacktail antlerless tag in a local area where the wildlife agency manages for Columbia whitetail deer. Blacktail deer are abundant but managers are trying to reduce their numbers to help enhance the whitetail population. Mike thought Hunter might want to take advantage of Oregon's Mentor Youth program, which allows young children to hunt alongside an adult with a deer tag. The child is allowed to shoot the deer on the adult tag. It is a pretty good deal...for the kids.


The habitat is mountainous with grassland, large groves of oak and fir. Before the hunt, Hunter and I went out and shot the .257 Weatherby and the 6.5 Swedish Mauser. He shot both well and I told him he could carry either one since he shot both rifles very well. Hunter chose the 6.5 because of the history of the rifle. This was his grandpa's first rifle, which he bought with his own money through his newspaper route in the early 60's.  Grandpa shot the rifle well and killed his first buck with it. Uncle Anthony killed his first buck with this same rifle. Now, Hunter was able to sling the same rifle and hopefully get the chance to kill his first deer. 


On the second evening of the hunt, I spotted some blacktails down a ridgeline way off in the distance, so off we were racing the fading light. As we got closer, I spotted one of the deer just a couple hundred yards below! Hunter was already in full sneak as he inched into position. "It's a spike buck!" Spikes are legal on antlerless hunts! Without help, Hunter set up the bipod like a pro. He brought the rifle to his shoulder like a veteran. 

"Hunter, the buck is 200 yards, do you want to sit in a more comfortable position?" I asked demanding

...I couldn't believe Hunter had his sights set on a yearling buck. I don't know who was more excited, Hunter or me? Boom! The buck didn't move an inch. "You missed, reload!"  Boom! the buck dropped immediately. The rest is history.






Some fathers dream of the day their son kicks his first goalie, graduates from college, or makes the football team. My dream became reality sitting alongside Hunter with this buck. Thanks Mike for letting Hunter use your deer tag. Thanks Hunter for hanging out with your dad and being such a great hunting partner. You made a heck of a shot!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Awesome Hunter! I love the story of the rifle, and Hunter just added another chapter...

Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Glad to hear the Mauser is still bringing home the bacon. The buck bacon that is. Nice shootin'!

Crystal said...

Way to Go! You look really happy with your buck. I like your target practice shots too!