Monday, February 21, 2011

Life: It tends to snowball when you let it go...


I can't believe it's already mid-February. Is there anyway to slow down time? I thought I'd throw some photos of some of our outings since my last blog post. There will more likely be more pictures than words. Deer season ended in early December and immediately after processing our last deer into home-made jerky and steaks, I jumped into my waterfowl hunting garb and headed out for some wing-shooting. Duck and goose season seemed short this year sandwiched between deer hunting and steelhead season.

This year's bird hunting was productive and I got to hunt with some great people this year including Hunter, Tod Lum, Dan Hartman, Nick Leoneti just to name a few. Toward the end of season, I bought a dozen field mallard decoys that look exceptionally real. The kids where impressed with their fine detail and theylined them up in the living room naming and playing with each one of them. I'm antsy to use them next year.


During blacktail season I'd tell you there is nothing like watching a big ol' buck coming in to a rattle stand. During goose season I would tell you there is nothing like laying plastered to a ditch bank motionless as a flock of large honkers make the final approach towards your spread...Take 'em!!! During steelhead season, nothing compares to a beautiful riffle and feeling the bite of a 10+ lb. hen. And so on....



Hunter and some of his friends volunteered their time to help me with some trapping Thanks to their help, we've had some luck. I've had plans to try and catch a few more steelhead this winter as the large infamous natives are now in the Umpqua river; however, while checking some traps the other day, I stumbled uipon my first fresh antler of the year...right by the truck. I guess that means shed season has officially begun. I'll tell you what, during shed antler season there is nothing like stumbling upon... I'll let you know how I do.

Road-side antler
 
Some help on the job

Ol' Dead-eye

Mr. Spots

Trapping cats and coyotes

Benthorn sheep
 
Oregon ram

Why am I the only guy with face paint?

Full limits on big honkers...and the only guy with face paint.
 
Ringnecks!

North Umpqua Goose shoot with Hunter
      
Winged morsels


Goose morsels ready for grill (sweet peppers, pepper jack cheese. marinated goose breast, bacon) 

Grilled morsels


Daisy Mae


 
Siuslaw Steelie

   

<><><><>
<>
<>
<><>
<>
<><>



Beauty on wheels

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I love every single picture, but those last two...*tear* I'm so glad to see the ol' honda is still puttering along!!! So many awesome memories on that little bike and many more to come.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! We need to plan an outing soon :) - Antonio