Monday, March 5, 2012

Meanwhile...

  Recently I was accused of only liking to hunt animals sporting antlers and not keeping my blog updated. I took it as a compliment; however I felt the need to show that hunting deer isn't all I like to do. In fact, in between deer hunts this fall and winter, we found  time to squeeze in some other outings including bird hunts, mushroom hunts, some crabbing, some trapping, and even wet a line, or one of my favorites, just watch my children play outdoors.
Now that waterfowl season is over, and steelhead season is winding down I have a goal to stretch my legs and walk my worries away in search of freshly shed antlers. You see, there's at least a good solid 2 months where I'm not too interested in antlers!

Here's a compilation of some outdoor photos from the last few months.  
Christmas Eve Umpqua River duck hunt with Hartmans

Early season geese with Tod Lum, aka Goose Slayer

Limited out and birds still cupped in!
Salt mist, rhythmic swells,smell of ocean life, and hopes of high tuna numbers and a calm stomach

Roo at Dean Creek trying to impress her dad
In a heavy fog setting, the distant sound of honks grow louder. The flock sounds hungry, excited, but we know they're wary. They appear out of the fog and set wings, my finger slides across the trigger guard and finds the safety switch, and I wait  for the command.     
Clipped fish from the Siuslaw. I fished with Trapper and we had a 9 fish day.
In December, Hunter and I set-up some trap equipment for a bobcat that had recently killed a kid goat. The day Hunter killed his second buck we got a phone call from the landowner about a bobcat trapped. We went to check the equipment and Hunter caught the female in his trap set. Yes, it is December and he's wearing shorts...kids.

A gunny sack of flavor

Target shooting on top of the world
Tuna trip with the Godfreys
A pile of walnut logs to hide in, a good retrieving dog, a warm cup of coffee, and lots of decoy action. What a morning.
Corrine spending a day with dad in the mountains just driving around listening to her radio stations.
I don't ever come out of the woods in the fall or winter empty-handed as long as their are pods of gold littering the forest floor. 
The girls were pretty excited to get to see this bobcat. (The girl on right is Roo's friend Emma)
You know Roo doesn't feel good when she isn't talking. I noticed I hadn't heard her voice for a few seconds, so I turned around to find her and this is what I see. She never chummed to the crabs, but I took her to the docks shortly after.
Please, don't laugh at my whiteness. I swear there was 2" of snow that morning that melted. This was my last goose hunting trip of the season.
Beauty and the Raging Beast
Bunch's Bar chrome hen

Ahhhh, fresh dungness crab and Hartman's home-brewed cider.
My friend Steve driftin for a pot of chrome!
A gaggle and a grin on another Umpqua goose shoot
Sledding queens. We spent the afternoon by HooDoo sledding some serious slopes.
First fish of the day...Always nice to get the stink skunk off the boat.
Deck hands getting bloody before we troll into another school of tuna
Trapper with a colorful buck from the 'Slaw.
Swept away...
I love steelhead fishing!!!!!!!!
Excited for another year full of adventures!

1 comment:

Accuracy Sports said...

CRABS, Oh yeah crabs!!! I love catching and eating those little rascals. You are lucky to live so close to the ocean.