I made the decision to waive the archery elk season this year in Oregon and try my hand at late season rifle elk. I don't know if I was tired of the coastal brush, the warmer weather, and the trials that come with bowhunting elk--whatever the reason I was excited by the challenge of picking a new area that I've never hunted, let alone have visited, and try my luck with my rifle for some eastern Oregon elk with good friend Brady.
The hunt is 5 days long, so we arrived a couple days early to learn a little about the area prior to opening day so we could hopefully hit the ground running at first light. Like most hunting trips, it was too short; however, it was good fun. There was little pressure for me to kill a bull since my boy Hunter has an antlerless elk tag by the house this December and with several deer in the freezer already, one elk would suffice to keep our family fed through next season. Little pressure helps make for a more relaxing trip.
| Brady doing a little scouting. The snow fell all week leaving a fresh slate board to pick-up new tracks |
Snow, along with frigid temperatures, blanketed the landscape making for some good elk hunting. Each day, Brady and I had the opportunity to kill bulls. We did some serious hikes into beautiful country and often, I passed younger raghorn bulls and spikes looking for a larger 5-point or a 6-point. Unfortunately my two strong chances at good bulls were foiled by pure bad luck. But that's hunting.
One morning I dropped Brady off on a bull that he had spotted from across the canyon that was going to get a better look at. I continued down a ridge and made the decision to hike out an old decommissioned road. Within a half-mile of hiking I stumbled upon three elk tracks from that morning in the snow. The tracks pointed down the canyon through an old logged unit and into some heavier timber. The snow was a little crunchy so I was slow but focused on eventually seeing the elk that were leaving the fresh tracks behind before they see me.
| One of the many bull tracks I followed. This track (bottom right side of picture) was a lone bull. |
Eventually the tracks turned uphill and looked as if they were going to find a bedding area in the timber. I kept an eye on any open areas ahead of the tracks imagining blonde patches with heavy antlers swaying. The smell of elk urine was strong and I had a hunch the way the tracks weaved through the timber that I was on the trail of three mature bulls. This is as much fun as a guy can have, I thought to myself proud that I was in such a predicament: the wind in my face, fresh bull tracks in front of me, and all day to follow them. I knew one way or another I would see these elk soon.
Suddenly, a bit of movement 70 yards ahead in the timber. It was a blonde patch topped by a dozen thin white-tipped points. It appeared to be a young bull but with 6 per side, I was suddenly in kill-mode. Wait, what about the other two bulls?, my greedy conscience whispered. The wind was steady in my face. I slowly took my pack off and knelt into the snow trembling with excitement. Another blonde patch stepped from the jack pines for a few seconds showing 6 heavy, long points on each antler. It was a big bull and as fast as it appeared it once again disappeared
The first bull had walked over a small rise and so now I was left without seeing a bull. I panicked knowing how important it is to shoot when given the opportunity, but with the wind in my favor and them not having a clue I was there I still felt confident I'd be pulling the trigger shortly. I heard a "thump" sound and wondered if it could be snow falling from a tree or worse, the sound of elk leaving the area. I waited a few minutes and made the decision to inch my way closer. I proceeded forward opening up new views of where the elk should have been....but weren't.
| The terrain is steep but perfectly arranged for elk to thrive |
I see their beds in the snow, I see the tracks of the bulls I watched just minutes before. Then I see the rest of the story. Little did I know above the elk another hunter was also stalking in on the bulls. This other hunter has four legs and a long tail. The tracks in the snow showed that a cougar was in the picture, much to my dismay. The cougar laid in ambush 5 yards from the big bull before it appears the elk spooked from the presence of the lion. Once I discovered what had happened, naturally I cussed the cougar and jumped on the fleeing elk tracks disgusted I didn't take the small window of opportunity to kill the first bull when given the chance. The lion tracks headed up the hill paralleling the running elk.
I wondered how awesome it would be to come up on the lion which just killed the bull since I had a tag for both species in my pocket. In true bull fashion they ran into the heaviest, steepest timber and didn't stop. I tracked them for nearly a mile before they showed signs of slowing to a walk. Just when I thought I was getting close, a new track entered the picture. The lion was back on the trail! I cussed again and picked up the pace just in time to have a bull run quartering towards me to my left but in heavy willows and fir not giving me any sort of shot. The lion had screwed up my chance once again flushing the bulls from the heavy vegetation like a labrador busting up a flock of partridge.
| Elk + Lion tracks. I'm hot on their trail! |
Although I had seen a totally different lion earlier that morning I never had the chance to catch a glimpse of this big tom that hunted these bulls, fortunately for him. I tried to follow the bulls further but they left the country completely. I figure they're in Arizona now. What an experience.
| Enjoying one of the only moments of the trip when the sun broke through the clouds. BEAUTIFUL. |
The hunt was winding down and we were hoping to at least take home one bull. The last evening of the hunt, we tried a new butte that we knew had good potential. Brady was able to pull the trigger on a yearling bull just a third of a mile from the pick-up. What a way to end a great hunt with one of my best friends. Of course, after spending a week in unfamiliar territory the landscape and it's wildness has the tendency to grow on you and suddenly you can't wait to go back. Well, this place wasn't an exception to that rule and we are looking forward to doing this hunt again in the near future.
| Brady made a great 40 yard shot in the timber trailing this spike bull |
| Lions weren't the only predator in pursuit of elk. This wolf track was within 20 yards of our tent...seriously |
| Igloo Sweet Igloo |
2 comments:
I shouldn't have read this. I knew I shouldn't have read this....i've got points buring my pocket and I read this. Bad steve! Bad steve!
Your love for the outdoors is contagious Michael, I love reading your adventures, I feel like I'm there!, and so great that you can share these times with good friends, love you son!
Post a Comment