My goal in Colorado this year was to simply have a good time and come away with a good buck. Of course, I learned a few things along the way:
-A camp trailer with a propane heater is very comfortable on frigid single-digit nights compared to our standard camp set-up.
-Colorado has some very, very big black bears.
-Leather boots freeze solid when the temperature is "down there" even when your feet are inside of them.
-Colorado has amazing mule deer habitat.
-It's really easy to have a good time in Colorado
| Tyler taking a break from the all the glassing |
I passed a few bucks each day including a few mature bucks that made me think twice...or three times before passing them up. On day-three while still-hunting through some heavy oak I came across a heavy 4-point buck at 70 yards that gave me plenty of opportunity to shoot. I still can't explain why I passed him, but the image of his white face looking back my direction is forever etched in my mind. On day 5, I decided that I couldn't pass up this buck. I found him with three does. I was certain he was 500 yards and since he was in the thick oaks and aspen it would most likely be hours before I could find a closer spot and get a clean shot on the buck as thick as the brush was.
I pulled out the rangefinder and was surprised that the buck was only 350 yards. I can do that! I steadied the rifle and watched for any opening big enough that the buck might step into where I could shoot. Suddenly, some other deer out of the picture were startled by something and began heading towards my buck and his little harem of does. I figured they might get the buck nervous as well and they might all move out of the country. I watched and waited as I could occasionally see deer flickering between thick patches of trees as they began making tracks out from their location.
I ranged an open spot where I guessed they might be headed. It read 440 yards on the rangefinder. I had already dialed my scope turret for 350 yards but before I could readjust the turret the first doe stepped into the clearing. I quickly found the opening through my scope, pressed my finger firmly against the trigger and waited for the buck to step out. Another doe and then another stepped into the open snow patch. Seconds later, the buck stepped out and stopped nearly broadside I raised the crosshairs to the top of the shoulder compensating for some drop and squeezed just as the buck was taking a step out of the clearing. I found the buck in my scope quickly after the recoil and saw him lift his front leg and disappear. Then I heard the report of a solid body hit. It took a while making my way down the north-facing slope of thick trees and I couldn't wait to see this guy up closer! I really like the antler shape and color of this buck.
| His final bed |
| Typical western slope Colorado mule deer buck. Perfect. |
| A whole lotta antlers |
| The three amigos and their 2013 Colorado deer |
| Does this rack make me look fat? |
| Tyler checking out his buck moments after walking upon it |
| Tyler's 8x6 |
1 comment:
Excellent deer CONGRATULATIONS! {I like the "Does this rack make me look fat?" photo.}
Post a Comment