My rod bent in half and the deep, hard jerks confirmed it wasn't a brat fish, but a good representation of an Umpqua fish. "Jim, it feels like a real good one!" I commented hesitantly, knowing well if I as wrong I'd get some ribbing. After 5 minutes of tug-of-war, we caught a flash of the fish. I wish we wouldn't have. Helter Skelter pursued. Both Jim and I are known for our over-excitement while hunting and fishing, so our boat was a wreck of shouting, laughing, anxiety, and silence as after another 10 minutes Jim was able to net the fish.
The fish is, by several pounds, my biggest steelhead I've ever caught. The most amazing twist in this fish story is it is a clipped-fish, which means it could be kept. The river is known for very few "keepers" especially in the magnum size!!!! Thanks Jim for your help landing the fish and friendship.
Salt and Rainbows:
Want to know something incredible? The ability to catch a saltwater fish and then within a few minutes just a few yards away, hook a freshwater fish. This was my goal on this trip. I found a small rental cottage that was 300 yards from the surf and situated lakeside on a coastal lake full of fish, and rented it for a weekend.
| Sea and Freshwater separated only by the foredune!!!Our rental home was directly above Hunter's right hand on the lakeside. |
We hauled the driftboat, the dogs, and the kids over for a couple days of fishing, ocean-playing, and fishing. With the driftboat tied off in the lake, we all headed to the beach. In no time we had a full dinner's worth of salt water pinkfin perch. They're incredible fish that hunt invertebrates that become uncovered by a pounding incoming surf. They taste like the best fish fry you've ever had.
Laynee was ready for a boat ride in the lake and I was ready to hook a freshwater fish just minutes after hooking a saltwater perch. We hurried into the boat. I didn't expect much as far as the size of the trout...boy, was I wrong. Big, hefty, beautiful rainbows started ripping the rods nearly out of the rod holders.
| Laynee's first fish of the evening!!! |
| I almost fell out of the boat when I saw this fish on the end of her line! |
Once we were done fishing, Laynee drug the trout from the boat back to the house and shocked the family with a trout bigger than any the other kids have caught. Needless to say, the kids were wanted to get in the boat the next day.
| I didn't say they were all big.(Laynee doing her best Jack Black impression) |
No comments:
Post a Comment