Corrine's second ever deer hunt was a little bit longer than her first. If you recall, she shot a Columbian whitetail on her first deer hunt, and that hunt last an entire 4 hours. Her second hunt, a muley hunt out of Cody, lasted maybe twice that long...but still less than a day. So it deserves a short story.
"Roo" is a terrific hiker, and has the instinctual ability to be quiet and observant. Did I mention a hell of a shooter....must take after her mom.
 |
| She also likes photography. I found a lot of photos like this pine macro on my phone after the deer hunt |
 |
| Roo pointing out one of the migration trails down hill. It looks like we were a couple days late for this high of elevation. We were both learning how to hunt local Wyoming migrating deer in a new area. |
 |
| Once I explained to Roo that this is a Grizzly rub tree, she picked up her step a bit more and was even more observant to her surrounding than ever. She's pulling grizz hair off of the branches |
 |
| Once again, two days late on the trail...the trails were peppered in muley tracks |
So after a 6 mile hike all morning which was fun but pretty uneventful as far as buck sightings, we went and explored a new area a bit lower elevation hoping to catch up to the migrating deer. We just got out on a rocky point and spotted a lone yearling buck across the canyon. I told her we still had plenty of days to hunt, but the more she watched the buck the more she wanted to go after it. I loved seeing her enthusiasm and would never steer my kids away from their trophy, no matter what the size. We made a stalk, and to make a long hiking story short, we climbed slowly up and down with out eyes pegged in our binos trying to figure out where the buck went off and hid. Roo was convinced the wiley "ol buck" made a perfect sneak and is long gone.
I thought her conjecture was possible but knowing the age of the buck and lack of "experience" I figured she was giving the lucky bugger way too much credit. Corrine was obviously disappointed and a bit short with me because she thought it was going to be a slam dunk kill. I told her to "buck-up" and lets make our way back to the pick-up but walk back through the rim of rock where we last saw the buck.
 |
Moments before we jumped her buck
We kind of forgot about the buck assuming it was gone when suddenly 80 yards below us the buck jumps from it's bed and starts putting distance between us. I turned to give fatherly hunting advice to my daughter however, she was already dropping the bipod and finding a rest. Where is it dad? It's right between those trees standing still looking back! What Trees? There's a million trees! Right there point the scope more left! I can't find it! More left! Ok, I got it....silence, silence....more silence.....KaBoom!!!!
|
I wouldn't expect any less from Roo--or the .257 Weatherby--but a perfect heart shot. The 110 Accubond did it's job again as it always has. We quickly gutted the buck and pulled and tugged it back to the truck along a trail that was littered with all sizes of grizz tracks. It made for a quick drag! Always looking forward to the next hunt with one of my favorite hunting buddies.
 |
| Yup, we all see Roo...stop braggin' |
 |
| Fresh venison heart that night for the family |
No comments:
Post a Comment