This year I dare say, I've been on more antelope hunts than all my other years of antelope hunting put together. Seriously. I've only pulled the trigger once on an antelope, but I had the chance to spend time with family and friends from all over the continent here in Wyoming on their pronghorn hunts and it has been overwhelmingly enjoyable and relaxing.
Here's a run down of some of our 2017 pronghorn hunts:
Don and Brady Smith, friends from Oregon, made the trek across the Oregon trail back to Wyoming to hunt big pronghorn. The country they hunted didn't disappoint, "I can't believe all the antelope out here" was Don's first statement as I met them at camp. Tyler Berry and Mike Conger, from Utah, also had tags and were in camp. I was the only Wyoming resident...and the only one without a tag.
Knowing how picky a few guys in camp were, I never would've believed they would all fill their tags in the first two days...but they did.
 |
| Don's 80+" buck. Opening morning with awesome mass. |
 |
| Conger's first antelope hunt. This buck popped out of nowhere and we told him to shoot. I'm glad he did. |
 |
| Brady killed my favorite buck of this trip. Mass, prongs, and length. |
 |
| Congers 6-seater made for a comfortable ride. |
 |
| Tyler waited till the last few minutes of the hunt to fill his tag. We looked at tons of bucks. |
 |
| Tyler's introduction to Allie, my Ackley, was a hit |
 |
| 1,000 yard one-shot with the 6.5 gap. |
 |
| Not sure if any hunt with the kids can be beat. Roo used Allie at 190 yards, one shot, and tagged her first pronghorn. It was so great to have Emmy and Laynee there as well. |
 |
| Beauties |
 |
| Roo has always been fascinated with anatomy. She always spends the extra time to pull out each organ ,explain its function, then pretend she is a surgeon rushing to put it back into the cavity for a transplant. |
 |
| a 500 yard 108 eld-m one shot, double lungs. Beautiful day with the girls |
 |
| My love |
 |
| Some friends from Michigan/Wisconsin came and visited...with buck tags in their pocket. I don't think they expected to be passing dozens of bucks in the first few hours, and we hadn't even hit the good areas yet. John killed this handsome buck at 500 with Allie. He did a superb job. |
 |
| Kaylin was a blast to hunt with., She did a remarkable job killing a buck we called Heart. |
 |
| Earl was able to kill his first coyote with Allie...and it just happened to be at 890 yards. Heck of a shot. |
 |
| The second day I couldn't hunt with them but I got a text that late morning saying the other three "tagged-out". I knew they had itchy fingers... |
Laynee glassing on Roo's buck hunt
I really enjoy hunting with these girls. This hunt was no exception although it was way too short of a hunt...it lasted maybe two hours. Roo perched on a nice buck and made an awesome 645 yard upper shoulder shot as the buck stood from it's bed and raked the brush. One shot, lights out. It was quite impressive
 |
| I adore this girl in her overalls... |
 |
| I love this girl |
 |
| Sisters |
 |
| She had to verify the buck was down for good |
 |
| Remember, how I told you she likes the anatomy? |
 |
| Last antelope hunt of the year, but definitely not least...was with good friend Jared and his first pronghorn hunt. Heather, Jared's wife, came along too and it was awesome to wade through the herds of antelope looking for one that tripped Jared's trigger. It took 3 or 4 hours of putting a couple on the hit-list...then this bruiser stepped out. It's a great buck, especially for a first! |
 |
| Jared and his sweetheart Heather |
Until next year's antelope hunts!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment