What's more Americana than traditional whitetail and pheasant hunting? The answer is nothing.
Frambes made his annual trek from moss to frost. What a great time we had as he had his first whitetail buck and doe tag. I had a couple whitetail doe tags as well.
I call Steve "opening day Steve" for a reason as bad as he tries to hold off the trigger as long as possible...He killed this great buck at 2:00 on his first day in Wyoming, after looking at a dozen bucks or so. It didn't bother me at all, cause as much fun as whitetail hunting is, I was looking forward to some other type of hunting as well/ I left it up to Steve what he wanted to do next on his Wyoming vacation...he elected to pheasant hunt which I was happy about as there have been plenty of roosters around this year.
We picked up a one-day bird license for Steve, grabbed Mac, the bird dog, and headed for some public land. After a few minutes of walking, Steve jumped the first hen and I could see his smile through the cattails as she busted from his feet. Within three hours, we both had out limits of three roosters a piece!
Mac did a great job retrieving birds. The long weekend will always be known as the All-American Weekend, hunting the two wildlife species that plaster the covers of Outdoor Life and Field and Stream magazines more than any other species, with good reason. They are both tremendously beautiful animals, fun to hunt, and excellent table-fare.
| Steve's first rooster! |
No comments:
Post a Comment