I'm thinking both Mike and Yves were both a bit surprised with the rough terrain that the migrating bucks above Cody call home. Yves put on several vertical miles each day missing a good 4-point buck on the first day out. He passed a couple smaller bucks in the next few days. It was day 4, we ascended 1,100' into an area where I hoped would pay off. Grizzly tracks littered the horse trail on the way up the fresh snow trail. It was a super, super steep trek on the way in and I began feeling a bit guilty with each step knowing Yves was on day four of tough hiking. Did I overdo it? Maybe this is too much for Yves. He pushed forward and I'll never forget his smile as we peaked on a small ridge and he took in the vista. I was proud of Yves.
Eventually a buck made it's way within range and Yves was able to kill his first mule deer. It doesn't matter what language you speak or which continent you call home, hunters are a unified group sharing a universal passion and respect for our earth's wonderful wildlife. He shared his feelings and compared the mule deer to European deer species he was more familiar with, the roe deer being his favorite quarry. This buck, although it didn't sport the largest antlers, was over 8 years old with molars worn to the gums and nerves exposed in the incisors.
Yves said he had never put so much effort for an animal as he did on this hunt. I'll take that as a compliment as the view is always nicest on the tallest, steepest mountain. Our whole family enjoyed both Mike and Yves' company and feel we've made a lifelong friend. Always looking forward to more adventures with Mike. And who knows, maybe next time Emily and I see Yves will be on his farm in southern France, which just happens to be loaded with Roe Deer?
![]() |
| The haulout |
| Yves and Mike Bodenchuk |
| Yves sent me this picture when he got home. They hunt in the button-up shirts and ties. |





No comments:
Post a Comment