Dave Fowler and I went into the Wyoming back country last year for elk and had an amazing trip. I hoped it would be the beginning of a hunt tradition that would continue year after year. Dave is an amazing man that I enjoy hunting with. This year we talked about doing it again and decided it would be nice to invite Bob and his new 12 year old daughter, "Ollie", and his mules (of course) to be part of this hunt.
Ollie was pretty excited to go on her first elk hunt and we all hoped she'd be successful. She did get her bull, which made the entire trip successful. As for us three men, I guess none of us really wanted to kill a bull too bad as we all passed bulls, including some dandies. A trip for the books...
Bob wrote a short story about the trip:
12 years in the making
The 2018 elk season was highly anticipated by a lot of
hunters but I’m guessing few could have matched the
excitement of my 12 year old daughter Olivia. She had
heard all the stories from her two older sisters’
successful elk hunt two years prior and was eager to
experience it firsthand. Pre-season was filled with hunter
education classes, rifle practice and lots of questions. (A
few of which had to do with nighttime and Grizzly bears.)
I assured her we would be fine but when a couple of
close friends were gracious enough to invite us along
with them on their elk hunt, which happened to involve a
rustic log cabin to sleep in, we jumped at the chance and
a lot of her fears were put to rest.
Our first hiccup of the trip involved the mule that was
packing Olivia’s rifle. While crossing through a side
canyon full of down timber, mud, and snow the mule slid
off of a steep bank and wedged her rifle crossways
between two trees. It stopped the mule’s descent. As I
watched the mule thrash around and try to free itself I
was sure the rifle stock and various other pieces and
parts were going to break in half before I could get there.
The mule popped loose before I could reach her and slid
the rest of the way to the bottom where she promptly
started eating grass like nothing had happened.
Once in
camp I slid the rifle out of its scabbard fearing the worst.
1,000 lbs. of mule can inflict a lot of damage on all things
gun related. There was no need to worry. The Manners
T5 rifle stock had taken it in stride and showed absolutely no
damage, nothing. What could have ended her hunt with
a broken stock turned into a rifle needing re-zeroed and
we were back in business.
The first part of our hunt we had a lot of low clouds and
intermittent spitting snow. We were seeing elk and had a
couple of fleeting chances that melted away before a
shot could be fired. Olivia handled it all in stride and was
having a blast. We were sitting on a ridge glassing after
one such incident when one of the guys spotted a group
of elk coming up through the trees and over the ridge we
were sitting on! I got Olivia laid down and in position as
the cows were filing over the ridge.
I believe sometimes
things are just meant to be and this appeared to be one
of those times. The bull topped the ridge, then turned
and stopped broadside between a small group of trees as
he looked around. Olivia took her shot, but the bull
disappeared so quickly we were unsure on exact shot
placement. We elected to wait for 30 minutes just to be
safe. After waiting what felt like a small eternity, we
started downhill toward the bull’s last known location.
About a hundred yards downhill from where he had been
standing I thought I could see something out of place. I
raised my binoculars and was staring at Olivia’s very first
elk. I tried to play it cool and asked Olivia to come over
and look at something for me. She just ran over to me
and said, “Where is he?” (I think she knows me a little
too well).
As we made our way down to him all she could
say was “Dad, I got a bull and he’s awesome!!” I couldn’t
have agreed more.
The rest of our trip was a lot of fun and was filled with
more hunting, watching grizzlies, packing out elk, and
mule rides. I would like to say thanks to all the friends
who helped out on this special hunt. Not only the friends
that we shared camp with but to all of you who support
what matters most, our future. What a blessing it was to
be able to share this hunt with my daughter. Thank you
all.
No comments:
Post a Comment