Saturday, December 1, 2018

Colorado 2018


Tyler, Jared, and I made a trip to Colorado this year in hopes to find our dream bucks. We  know better to think we're actually going to find our buck of a lifetime in this unit, but something keeps us coming back every couple years. 
The older I get, the more I'm hunting for adventure and time to be with good friends. That's what makes this hunt special. 
We had a great time but very few big bucks sightings. I hunted from dark to dark every day and although I had seen respectable bucks each day of the hunt, I never saw a buck I wanted to harvest on this hunt. Jared killed a small buck with a day left of the hunt.
The last morning of the hunt, Tyler and I had already passed a couple bucks when a doe and a buck appeared on a ridgeline above us as we hiked into one of our hoptspots. Right away, I knew it was a buck bigger than what we've been seeing. "Kill it!" I yelled to Tyler. By the time we untangled his rifle from his pack sling and got on the bipod, the buck was on the top of the ridgetop almost out of sight. The silhouetted buck with his thick neck and big frame is an image forever burnt in my memory.

Tyler made a great shot and anchored a solid buck with just hours to hunt. I passed a few smaller bucks before making my way back to camp. 

All in all, I had a real close 30 minute encounter with a beautiful ram, saw multiple big bull elk, saw dozens of bucks, saw bobcats, and coyotes, and was lucky enough to stumble on some sheds and a heavy deadhead.  

This hunt will go in my archives with the first out-of-state hunt where I didn't feel any sort of pressure to "fill a tag".  I'm not real sure on the reason, but if I was to guess it has to do with me living in Wyoming now, with ample opportunity for meat harvest and quality hunts. 

Here are a few highlights from our trip.









No comments: