"So what type of antelope are you looking for this year Laynee?" I asked while driving up to her hunt. "One with long eyelashes" she replied. She loves hunting antelope. They're a dainty, beautiful animal with long eyelashes, big black eyes, and some of the tastiest meat on the landscape.
| Someone forgot the orange hat, Laynee wasn't too excited when I found orange in the truck |
Laynee and Emily both drew buck tags again, this year....I didn't ...again. I'm okay with it though because I really do enjoy these days with the girls. Laynee loves antelope hunting because it's snack-eating, music on the radio, interrupted by brief sightings of antelope.
With Laynee playing volleyball with the high school, we swung through her unit after a great volleyball game in Riverton and spent the afternoon hunting. Antelope sightings were a little less common than in years past but we were still seeing plenty of game. She passed up 5 or 10 bucks until Emily points out the window "There's a little one". I slowed down and Laynee and I both got serious quick as we knew it was the biggest buck we had seen yet.
The buck was putting some distance between us fairly quickly. She would get on it and it would move, and repeat that pattern time and time again. I was ranging and working the turret on the 6.5 PRC. Wind was minimal but he had put 618 yards between us and I was about to tell Laynee let's get closer when the rifle barked! I jumped back in the binos in enough time to hear the "thump" and see him take a few steps and lay down. It looked like a liver shot. We quickly snuck into 400 yards and she made a great follow-up double lung shot.
She is such a joy to be around when we're up in the mtns. She's solid, strong, and a pretty decent shot! Congrats Laynee on your second antelope. You can do anything you put your heart and soul into.
Emily decided we would come back another day and hunt for her. We both enjoy our annual hunting date, no matter what it is we are hunting. I like hunting antelope with her, she seems to have a knack for big bucks and this year was no exception.
It was a week or two later in the season and the antelope had moved into the area and they were abundant. Our time was limited but we did as much window shopping as we could, then this heavy guy comes over a ridge with a handful of does. "He's heavy, long-pronged, and good lengths Michael" She said while staring through the spotting scope.
We settled in at around 500 for the shot. He was bedded with a small buck bedded right in front of him for 15 minutes. I think the waiting gave Emily the jitters a bit because when the small buck got up and gave Emily a clear shot, she shot an inch over his back! The antelope spooked and moved a half-mile before settling back down. We made another attempt before it got dark.
Now Emily was upset with herself and I know there wasn't going to be another miss. The buck was moving away, again around 500 yards. She sent a 140 grain eld-m and it met it's mark. This time her shooting position was solid and I knew she would kill. Maybe she was a bit rusty with the first shot. The buck was an exceptional , mature 14" buck that would score 79". A beautiful buck that has it all.
Emily helped with the field dressing as she shows more interest to help, which I appreciate. We've learned to work together on these hunts and she is such a joy to be with. Great shot Emily. I look forward to when you draw again next year and I'm hired as your hunting buddy.

No comments:
Post a Comment