Colorado…the only state I know you can draw a deer tag frequently, not scout at all during the summer, and…if you work at it, and show some discipline passing younger bucks, you have a chance at killing a buck of a lifetime. That is pretty special.
This year’s trek was missing one of the three stooges. Jared was in the middle of moving his family across the country and decided to not leave all that burden on his wife and family. Good call Jared…but we sure missed you in camp this year.
Like every Colorado deer hunt, camp was our home away from home 30’ trailer with heat, which was a nice change from the backcountry living I had been living.
I’m not sure why but it seemed this year the other hunters put in a little more physical effort than normal…and overall terrible shots! I can’t tell you how many times I heard a volley of 8+ shots throughout the trip…pretty embarrassing for the hunting community. I was happy to see folks out hiking and enjoying themselves rather than road hunting. On the opener, there were two vehicles parked at our trailhead so we politely excused ourselves from the rodeo and went on the backside of the basin where Tyler and I split up.
Just after first light, 23 shots rang out in the basin I was wanting to hunt. I’m sure they were shooting at elk (Later I learned they killed one elk). I happened to hunt the backside of the basin and as predicted, the animals spilled over the ridge like the scene on Bambi, with all the forest animals fleeing the wild fire. 2 Bull elk, then a group of deer, followed by cow elk, and a few more deer.
I caught a quick glimpse as a pair of mature bucks crept over to my side and quickly got into a patch of oak to hide from the mayhem. I never got a great look at the either and was unsure if they, along with the other deer, had snuck out of the oaks without me seeing them.
I decided to sit and wait them out in case they were still there. Hunting big bucks requires you to have more patience than a big ol’ buck. Bucks depend on their patience and ability to sit tight and assess each situation before making a move, almost as if they’re channeling the hunters strategy and then doing the complete opposite.
Two hours passed and I had gotten to a point of impatience and doubt that they were still in that pocket of oaks. Just then, I noticed a white mask of a mature buck sneaking right towards me from the oak thicket. The other one followed.
These bucks finally felt the coast was clear enough to leave the patch and find a secure location to bed for the day. They were 150 yards and closing the distance. The first buck was a deep forked 4x4. Although only 23” wide, his lighter-colored beams and tine length surely made me set up the rifle and have to make a decision.
The shot would’ve been easy and the buck was pushing 180”…but it was opening day. I chose to sit and watch the bucks rather than fill my tag. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I pass good-sized animals in order to hunt more, and the hopes of finding the animal that you don’t question for a second!
Besides, I knew a good snow storm was due to hit in the evening and through the night. We woke up on the second day with 6-8” of snow. Although fog and wind made its own challenges, hunting big bucks gets easier with a fresh blanket of snow no doubt.
The second afternoon of the hunt, I split up from Tyler to go look at some new country I had waypointed earlier in the year on OnX. It was on one of the migratory ridges we enjoy hunting, but a couple miles higher in elevation.
As predicted with snow, we were finding a new push of deer rolling off the mountain. My plan was to travel a ridge line and glass the pockets of oak and assessing deer density with fresh tracks. There was enough sign and occasional buck sightings to keep me excited and in the game.
I finally made it to some area that looked “Bucky” and found a group of deer with multiple nice bucks. I contemplated sitting there for the evening but my urge to see what was over the next ridge was too great in search of a next level buck.
The waypoint I had pinned preseason was in the next basin to my south. I had already gone a few miles deep and it was getting to be evening. I almost talked myself out of hiking to the last basin but thought I’ll never kill a giant by stopping short. I waded through the oaks and snow and just topped out onto a small flat ridge that was a perfect glassing spot.
I immediately noticed 2 good 6x6 bulls and a handful of cows 400 yards below me. I glanced to my right and with the naked eye could see a big deer, just 250 yards away, sneaking out of the oak basin at my same elevation..
I immediately knew this was a tank of a buck. I threw in my binos up for a quick second to confirm…Yup!
I unbuckled the rifle from my pack and had to stride forward 20 feet in order to get the right prone shot. I fell on my belly, wracked a cartridge in the 300 WM action, got a quick range and dialed. 310 yards quartering away. His big blocky body and large frame stood out black against the white background. He just topped a little saddle and within 2 seconds would be out of sight. There was a definite rush.l and not any time for mistakes.
This buck’s fatal mistake was to turn left and show me his broadside just before topping over. The rifle excitedly barked and I get back in the scope quick enough to see a glimpse of the deer run over the saddle and out of sight. The audible impact of bullet on body sounded like a watermelon being dropped on concrete from 100’.
The basin where the buck had come from, exploded with deer escaping including a few other bucks. I felt a moment of slight guilt wishing one of my children were with me. We could've doubled up on 2 6-pt bulls, and two big bucks from this one point.
It’s always exhilarating to walk up on an animal that makes you shake from the very first second you laid eyes on it. I’m in love with the beauty of this typical. I have so many questions for this buck, that I can only conjecture an answer.







No comments:
Post a Comment