Monday, November 25, 2024

Wyoming backcountry elk back to back

This hunt has been one of my favorite for a few years now. This year was certainly no exception! Rather than a day to day detail, I’ll highlight the moments that stuck out the most on this hunt and a big photo dump:

-Glassing such enormous elk country with good weather and friends

-the smell of pine burning in the woodstove listening to someone’s stories from the day

-the smell of elk lingering

-the bugles of bulls in the thick timber

-being at 10,000’ watching the northern lights with your daughter who just killed a mule deer

-sitting around the campfire with friends

-a solid pair of boots and sturdy trekking poles and lots of country ahead of you

-Running your hands through the coarse mane of a bull elk

-running with a pack that is strong and determined

-Realizing how tough your teenage daughter really is
Laynee and I putting on the miles!

A ray of sunshine

5 mile hike back to the horse camp!

Laynee made a great stalk and 200 yards shot on this old buck

Tyler and Kya and northern lights on early morning

We climbed out of the canyon after laynee killed and got this picture with her and her deer


Northern lights and warm fires




While looking for her deer, Laynee found this ol Amish hat in the timber

You’ll have to ask Laynee about the cut and this part of the hunt!



Kya with her bull



We had worked hard to find big bulls to kill, and to bring some luck to our daughters. When it was all over, Tyler and I headed home without an elk, although we had chances daily to kill smaller bulls.

One of my favorite hunts this year is when Tyler and I talked ourselves into going back for a two day elk trip. The logistics were: 5-6 hr drive for both of us, 9 mile ride on side by side for me, while Tyler rode empty ponies the 9 miles, then a 4 mile pack-in on horses for both of us.


We arrived at camp Sunday morning at 3:30 am. Just enough time to get an hour of sleep and go hunting! 

I spotted my bull 2 miles up a canyon!

I found my bull fairly quickly that morning but knew it would take all day to get on him. I killed the herd bull as he was squaring up to another herd bull 350 yards below, while all surrounded by cows. I had his quarters bagged up and started packing 2 hrs before dark and spent the evening packing meat to a better place for the horses. Tyler ended up killing a solid 6x6 as well that evening

The next morning, we hauled meat, and then packed camp out. We didn’t get home till well after midnight.  That’s what you call run and gun! Thanks Tyler for being such a good huntin buddy.

Filtering water, gettin ready for a big climb

My ambush spot on my bull








No comments: