
Do not scroll down without answering this question first. Which is larger, a mallard or a canada goose?
Do you think you know the answer? Are you sure? Is that your final answer?...
Some people think I am crazy when I tell them that sitting in a cold, wet duck blind, watching the sunrise is one of the most comforting places on this earth. But it's much more than that...
Some people think I am crazy when I tell them that sitting in a cold, wet duck blind, watching the sunrise is one of the most comforting places on this earth. But it's much more than that...Monday, at first light, I found myself bunched up alongside a clump of canarygrass. The smell of a rain, the sound of stillness, the slight breeze biting my cold cheeks, and my only wish was to coax some geese within range of my shotgun.
Surrounded in such a beautiful vista, an overwhelming sense of belonging to the environment engulfed me. A sensation that reminds me of who I am. A reminder that nature does not belong to mankind, nor is mankind independent of nature. Humans are an integrated part of the natural world and we have been for hundreds of thousands of years, if not millions. My pondering continues...
Progression is slowly disconnecting us from our mother earth. As a species, we have lost our sense of belonging to the natural world. We are taught to feel guilt for depending on our forests although our forests are like parents, providing us with everything we need to survive: shelter, food, warmth, and love. Some say I should feel guilt for killing other animals; however, all organisms must kill to live, an undeniable biological fact that has been in place for millions of years. The only choice is how we choose to kill.
Some say our wildlife populations are in trouble and many species are disappearing. For the past several decades through sound wildlife management, nothing could be further from the truth. Animal species continue to evolve and more species are created, and game animals have never been so numerous!

No wonder why so many humans flock to movies that reconnect them with raw nature. We are so disconnected. Our souls scream for something that is real,... tangible,... divine. For many, these movies are their "real-life" educators of what is out there; of course with Hollywood's twist. (It's okay to show blood, guts, and pain on a horror show, but not a nature show.)
We need to once again reconnect ourselves with the natural world, which is as delicate as a spider's web. Humans do play a significant role in the earth's ecosystem and we shouldn't feel guilty for that. Our role is not to take dominion over all nature, nor is it to separate our species from the food chain and "protect" nature from ourselves, but it is our responsibility to honor and treasure mother nature as the one sacred element that, behind the muddled veil of made-up laws, politics, religion, progression, and fancy make-up, really takes care of us as long as we are willing to return the favor.

.......The sounds of wings whistling in the air startled me from my ponderance. A large flock of cackling geese, the smallest canada goose subspecies, circled overhead. I was ready, I had waited all morning for this moment.
Two birds folded their wings and hit the earth with a large "thump". I thanked them for their lives, enjoying their striking beauty.
While gathering the wet decoys, I thought of a recent conversation where I was questioned why I hunt when I have such a love for wildlife. I compared myself to a rose gardener. Those that love and appreciate roses the most, spend most of their time with these flowers. They know how to care for the roses and feel a real connection with each rose . When a rose is in full-bloom, the gardener cuts the rose from it's stem and displays the flower with love and utmost respect, but knowing they have taken the life of the rose. Most folks don't make the time nor have the passion it takes to plant a rose and watch it grow; they prefer to buy already-cut roses from the local market.

Come along and experience firsthand sitting in the duck blind with me for a morning. It is so much more than just a "shoot".
Oh, I almost forgot...here is the answer to the question:
All canada geese are larger than the mallard except for the "cackler". Yes, there generally is an exception to every rule.
7 comments:
Wow, Good writing Mike, I really liked the rose garden comparison. It is so important to realize your place in the universe. There will be those that disagree, but I also share your passion to be connected to nature in a real, genuine way; not through a jingle, a popular or semi-religious movement or other artificial contrived way. Dad
Impressive Blog!!! I bet Emily is way Jazzed that you are doing this! I'm a little jealous that Jared shares that same compation for hunting, but doesn't document the experiences. It's fun for me to see what goes on out there. Love you family...keep bloggin'
Enjoyed the post.
I love what you wrote about our connection to nature...I have never known anyone shows their love and respect for nature the way that you do. You're a true "environmentalist" compared to those who buy a recycled shirt from Walmart and think they're connected to nature. :)
I loved your writting,it expresses so much how I feel, thank you son, love, mom
I thought for sure I had the right answer!! well, I learned something new just now! thanks, I love your pictures, mom
I haven't stopped thinking about this post...and I think you've inspired me for my thesis in my final project in school. Thanks Mike! I hope you don't mind if I quote you on my presentation the first day of school?
Post a Comment