Sunday, December 14, 2008

Timber Ghosts

I frequently tromp around in the woods above home. The slopes are steep and the vegetation is thick, making the terrain very uninviting to step into. The deer are fairly safe in this refugia of impenetrable firs.

Well, since I can't be at a million different places at once, which by the way if I had super-powers that's what I would wish for, I stumbled across an infrared motion camera to be my "eye" in the sky while I lie in my warm bed...or sit in another location looking for deer.
This contraption ain't no $5 disposable 35mm camera. This is a 8 megapixel $500 set-up. The first few nights I set it out, I felt like I had just left my rifle, my binoculars, or my son attached to the tree for any curious and hungry bear or sticky-fingered homo sapien to stumble upon.

I set the camera a few feet up a large fir facing an average game trail, nothing too special as far as the amount of animal sign using the trail, just a typical deer trail. When it was time to retrieve the camera, I felt like a kid again, running towards the location like a child towards his stocking on Christmas morning.
Here were the results in a 2 week's time: 44 pics taken, 25 of those pics being bucks...that I could tell. Some of the shots are of a deer's behind or other bits and pieces making it hard to tell if it is a buck, or even a deer. No sasquatch.
I was a bit surprised a super big buck didn't make an appearance; however, this was just one trail in a huge area. Anyways, with no further adieu....here are a few of the shots:

Here is this big stud. Yes, if you look closely, he does sport some antlers. One of only 5 bucks (of 25!)that presented me with a daylight hour shot.


On a trail of a hot doe..



Rakin' a little brush with antlers and glands

Probably past this lil' guy's curfew...
A late morning buck




Big ol' heavy 3-point that walked by hours before I picked up my camera!


The end...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

That is so cool! If I knew you had it set up, I would've dressed up in a reindeer outfit and ran in front of it...how funny would that be? Heehoo...Too bad you didn't get sasquatch.

Bryan and Ana Burrell said...

I like all those nice shots of bucks. Funny you didn't get a bear.