Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pinktails and a ripping tide

Pinktail perch are generally caught by fishing directly into the surf by casting natural bait as far as possible on an incoming tide; however, I found a new way of fishing for these flaky morsels.


I jetted up the Umpqua river to a "secret spot" that I had heard the perch pile up in the early summer months. With the tide ripping in, we anchored the boat in 12-15 ft. of water, baited our hooks, and waited for a bite. My friend, Jim, casted out into a good looking spot, set his rod against the boat, and turned to sit down. I screamed, "Jim!". Anybody that fishes understands that in a moment of stillness, if a buddy quickly yells your name, it only means one thing; you've got a fish on! Wasting no time, Jim whipped around to grab his rod and suddenly realizing he had fallen for a fisherman's greatest prank. There was no bite, his line was limp. I understand that little boy that continouously cried wolf. With the risk of sounding completely evil, it is one of life's greatest thrills to watch people fall for a prank over and over again...

Moments later, while I was busy organizing some fishing tackle that had gone rogue, Jim screamed, "Mike, your rod!". Only semi-convinced it wasn't a prank, I looked up to see my new rod fighting to stay in the boat! The rod tip was bouncing like a cattail in a hurricane. I grabbed the rod, "fish on!". Although the bite didn't last long, it was the hottest surf perch action I've ever experienced.


Back to the harbor...



3 comments:

Tamara with a "T" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamara with a "T" said...

I can hear almost hear your laughter after your prank, I love it!

Burrell said...

I AM NOT THE BRIDE OF LONNE POWLL