Sunday, July 12, 2009

Red rock paradise

Have you ever been to Lake Powell? If you answered "no", I suggest you open your calender right now and book a vacation to visit. Lake Powell is, hands-down, one of the most magical and majestic places on earth. With more shoreline than the entire Atlantic coast shoreline in eastern u.s., it is a recreationalist's paradise.



I've been fortunate to go to Powell from the time I could barely hold a fishing pole. In fact, I cut my teeth fishing Powell's numerous coves and back canyons for bass and bluegill; Powell is where I grew a great appreciation for fishing. I can still remember as a kid one particular night throwing an over sized topwater plug as far as I could cast into the darkness of the night. The plug hit the water with a splash...then everything was silent. The rest of the family was busy back at camp, wind was non-existent, the temperature was perfectly warm, and the silence drew me into the moment. I twitched the tip of my rod to give the lure some action. Suddenly, it sounded like a school bus fell from the sky and splashed right on top of my lure. I was astounded by the big splash and quickly realized it was a large bass that had taken my plug! I set the hook and felt solid weight pull back...then my line went limp. The bass had broke my line and dove back into the depths of the dark water. I stood on the redrock bank staring into the waters.

That bass did more than just my plug; it kickstarted a predator-prey relationship inside a little boy. I've always wondered how big that fish was and I've been fishing to find out ever since. Fast forward 20 years...Last week, a large group of the Burrell clan jumped on a house boat, along with a fishing and a ski boat, and headed back to the same area where years before my dad would take my brother and I out on some of our greatest fishing expeditions.



You'll have to check out Emily's blog to read about the entire trip, but I will touch on the fishing side of things. The fishing was better than I ever remembered. Fast catfish action off the back of the house boat, amazing striper fishing casting topwater into boils, great bass action, and even some walleye and crappie to keep things interesting

I woke up each morning well before the sun and motored the 10 hp into the bay in search for striped bass boils. The stripers travel in school searching for baitfish called shad. Once they find a school of shad, the stripers will push the school of baitfish to the surface and feast on the fish until the shad either retreat back into the depths or are all eaten.

A small boil

The feeding frenzy on the surface resembles water boiling. When you find a boil you and approach it right, you will catch stripers. Throw anything silver into the water and hang on tight. The fish are big and are tremendous fighters.


I was lucky enough to have someone wake-up with me nearly every morning to enjoy a beautiful sunrise and appreciate a part of Lake Powell that most people sleep right through. These morning fishing excursions were definitely my favorite part of the trip.



Everything about Lake Powell is magical. It was really hard when it was time to leave knowing how many fish there were still to catch in that lake.

Thanks dad for always taking me out and teaching me how to enjoy the simplest things in life,while feeding my hunger to catch fish at such a young age. I've got my calender open looking at 2010, when are we going back?


A flooded cottonwood tree back in crappie country


Filleting stripers for the grill


A fistfull of stripes

Another sunrise..another day
Sun and stripers

Pop with a walleye


Cliffs adjacent to camp

Mom with a striper


My Emily!

Dave with a crappie


Sister Danielle with a morning striper


Hunter with a good smallmouth


Sister Tamara with another one for the grill

Emily with a bass and a setting sun


More Stripes!

My momma showing you how to land a Powell striper. My mom and I made a boat full of memories that morning...



5 comments:

Burrell said...

Awww, Babe! There are tears in my eyes as I read this. That was such a fun trip and so many memories too. I'm so glad that I have you to teach me to appreciate the beautiful things in life. No one could be a better teacher, because no one loves it more than you. And no one loves you more than me.

Danielle said...

Well...I can't top Emily's reaction to your post...but what a great memory. I just made a post actually about that morning striper hunt. Not only one of my favorite memories of the trip, but one of my best life memories :) You have such a passion for nature and for life that it's contagious. I love you brother!

Tamara with a "T" said...

What a great post. I swear Mikey when I read stuff like this, it makes my eyes get wattery! I love you and I love everything that you love becuase you make it so fun and interesting. Thank you for taking me fishing!

Antonio said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing a bit of Powell. Tyler loved it too. He says he wants to go striper fishing next time.

Bryan and Ana Burrell said...

It was a great time for sure. It brought back a lot of memories. DAD