Recently I learned I'll be moving from Oregon to Wyoming. Good move? I think so.
With that, there is a lot of unique hunts and wildlife diversity you may only get in Oregon that I will cherish and miss. One hunt that I will miss is bear hunting with good friends. This spring's bear hunt was one of my favorite.
I stuck fairly close to home and had the pleasure to pass on and watch several bears.One day while out with my buddy Dan, we had already passed a small "monkey" bear that looked like he rubbed every inch of hair of his backside. We were headed to some upper clear-cuts when I noticed a big black blob 400 yards down below. Typically, I might tell Dan to shoot, even if I spotted it...but the size of this bear told me to grab my own gun!
After a few minutes of judging the bear and enjoying observing him strolling towards the timberline, and Dan impatiently wondering if I'm going to shoot, I decided to pull the trigger. The giant bear bolted towards the cover as fast as it's 350+ lb body allow it. Hopefully, this isn't my last Oregon bear.
The entire bear was turned into ground jerky and pepperoni sticks. Oh yeah, which reminds me...I was supposed to explain how to make bear pepperoni, as implied by the blog title:
Step 1.
Find bear sign. Know what the bears want to eat and focus on those areas in the most remote steep you can find.
| See the bear? |
Put on the miles on your pick up and your binoculars. It is a numbers game where you will need to look at so much ground before finding a bear; however, I promise you will have some adventure while looking for your perfect bear.
Step 3.
You found a bear. Now decide if it is the bear you want. If so, kill it.
| I never thought I could find a bear that would make Dan look like a kid. Dan is about 8 ft tall and 350. I might be exaggerating a bit but he is a giant. |
Step 4.
Buy Cabela's pepperoni seasonings (it's my favorite) and follow the instructions. Viola! See you in Wyoming.

2 comments:
I meant to say "Looks like a fine bear. Did the bruins PAC have anything to do with your transfer to Wyoming? I have always wanted to harvest a black - black bear. You are a hardworking, glassing maniac and congratulations.
Post a Comment