Monday, November 29, 2021

Lucky

This hunt can be wrapped up with one word, "Lucky".  I got "lucky" and had drawn a late muzzy deer tag in Utah on a general season area. I didn't have super tall expectations for quality deer on this hunt, in fact, after drawing an Arizona bull and Colorado deer tag, I almost turned my Utah buck tag back in. Then my dad shared the news that he will be fighting prostate cancer.


My parents live in Utah. We make time to see each other at least once a year, but truly our time is limited together with a 9 hour drive apart. You see, I was "lucky" as a child, I was raised by the best parents I could dream-up. My best childhood memories were with my pops bouncing around in our Wagoneer or atv's exploring the unknown all across Utah. This Utah buck tag was a perfect opportunity to do just that, as long as my dad's health would hold...I kept the tag and couldn't wait for the hunt!

The summer passed and my dad's health was on the mend with the help of great medical staff. Our plans on bouncing around on a side by side didn't sounds like much fun to my dad (for obvious reasons) so we chose to stay within the comfort of the truck. We would hunt everyday and then come back to the house at night and be with mom as well. My mom was as excited as we were for this hunt, as she would make us some food  to pack along every morning and she was always excited to hear about how each day went. I'm "lucky" to have her in my life. 

It was fun to come back to mom and dad's and get to spend time together on this hunt

The hunt was so much fun as there were only 5 tagholders on the entire unit so pressure was nil and deer sightings were abundant. What a great time bouncing around in the Tundra exploring the unknown all across the unit, again with my dad, but in different stages of our lives but with the same passion for learning new country and seeing new things. 

By the end of day 4, We had seen well over 100 bucks on the trip. I had made some fun hikes where I'd be dropped off and my dad would pick me up. There were several bucks we had found that were worthy of such a tag but just didn't hit the "wow" factor for me, so I elected to pass. Two of these bucks that stick out were Forkasaurus (a 22" wide 2-piont with baseball bat mass and incredible height) and the slick 4x4 that would score 175" that I watched 100 yards below me rutting some does in the thick oaks. That evening, I could hear my dad wince a little when we would hit the bumps on the road. He made the decision, he'd take the next day off for a little rest and to get some things done around the house.

The next morning, I headed back alone to a spot my dad and I had a lot of luck finding deer the day before. I parked the truck and climbed a hill to get a morning vantage point to glass from. While I was glassing I had heard a muzzleloader shot off in the distance. I could see a Jeep Wrangler parked off in the distance and was a bit surprised as I hadn't met another hunter yet. I started to pick up deer in the binos, and the rut seemed to really switch on as there were younger bucks chasing does all around. I knew there were bigger bucks as I had seen a solid 5x4 the day prior that would score in the 170" range.

That's when I saw my buck for the first time. It was 350 yards away, I watched as a younger buck followed a doe into an thick cedar patch and a heavy-antlered buck, bigger than anything I've seen on the trip, came running out of the cedars chasing the smaller buck in retreat. The large buck had giant back forks, good fronts, and great mass. He had a herd of does in the cedars and seemed content, so I tried to come up with a plan to kill him. 

I was using Tyler's muzzleloader and had it dialed well to around 350 yards. After a short while, the does began feeding out of the cedar patch into the sage flat, with the buck in tow. I panicked when a mile away, I noticed the same Jeep Wrangler glassing the surrounding country, and then hopping into their jeep and bouncing down the two track quickly. If they were to come my way, I would see them and hopefully I can wave them off as they most likely had no idea I was already on this buck. 

I got the rifle at the ready just in case, and then I saw the Jeep pull down my two-track and park. They were around 600 yards from the deer and when I saw the passenger pull out a muzzleloader I knew it was now or never for me. Just cause I could shoot 350 yards didn't mean I wanted to, but I felt confident and it was now or never. I ranged 364. Yikes...

The deer hadn't noticed the two hunters making the sneak, and the two hunters didn't notice me on the hill just seconds away from firing...A doe had stepped in front of the buck and nibbled on some cliffrose for what seemed like an eternity while I waited.. Meanwhile the buck stood frozen broadside. He was such a handsome buck, picture-perfect, standing there posturing with his does. The doe finally turned and left leaving his body exposed to my crosshairs. I gently squeezed the trigger,,,POW!!! Engulfed in a cloud of smoke, I closed my eyes and heard the bullet tear into meat.  I jumped to my tripod and quickly began picking apart the landscape. Everybody but me was surprised by the report of the rifle: the other deer, but mostly the two hunters, definitely not their lucky day.

I found where the buck was standing and was surprised to not see any movement besides the does that were radared with their ears towards the exact spot he was. They confirmed to me that he was lying there still...hopefully dead. The two hunters were making there way towards me when I waved them over. They were really nice men; another father/son combo, but father had the tag. After a few minutes of staying in the binos making sure the buck was down, the son explained that buck is the one they've been after since the opener...and the old man had missed it twice. They called him "Lucky".

I'm not sure if this buck was very lucky this morning but I enjoyed hearing their stories. They both walked out to the buck and shared a few minutes with me. I let the father take a picture with Lucky, and I truly feel "lucky" to have made such a shot and take such a buck on this hunt. He's perfect. I only wish my dad were there that day to share it with. I appreciate we were able to spend four days together prior though.

I look back at my life, my childhood, my adult life, my very-understanding wife and children and the lives we've created. I look at the friendships I have made, I look at my career, and our family's overall health. I definitely feel "lucky" to live this life. 
 









 

No comments: