For a typical mule deer buck to reach it's fifth birthday is quite an accomplishment unless they have the luxury of living on the most premium units in the west with limited hunting pressure. Most buck-hunting seasons across the west have liberal seasons and tag numbers that means a buck deer must find ways to avoid hunters during a vulnerable time of the year if they are to survive. Fall season is when bucks need to move around more than usual as they feel multiple innate urges that they can't ignore to
All of these activities require that a buck sticks it's neck out there a bit. Being exposed, feeding and moving about, is a risky proposition and the older a buck gets, and possibly survives a few hunting seasons, the better they understand the need for low-light movement and how to use their habitat to evade hunters. Good deer habitat includes plenty of refugia, or escapement.
Escapement can be 1) remote vastness that is difficult for hunters to access. This type of escapement might not be thick cover, as much as just limited human activity that allows buck survival. 2) Thick vegetation that keeps deer safe from even the best glassers. 3) Private Land, which limits human activity and provides deer a place without too much hunting pressure.
In Colorado, I happen to hunt public land in an area that doesn't have too much area with backcountry opportunities. With that, I focus on the escapement that the mature deer use to keep away from the typical hunter...the ocean of oak. If any of you have hunted Colorado, you know what I'm talking about. The vast oak is a beautiful area that transitions the deer's summer country from their wintering grounds and is thick...and I mean thick.
This heavy vegetation has saved more deer during a time when their most vulnerable than any other factor I can think of. I love Colorado because there is good habitat escapement which allows a buck to reach maturity, on all the units. This year was no exception. It was the first evening of the hunt, I had just decided to pass a solid 170 4x4 that was bedded with 3 other bucks 150 yards below me, when I glassed out to 480 yards and this old, massive, mature buck stepped out of the wall of oak with waning light.
It's tough to pass a 180" buck, even on the first day. The hunt ended up good to all of us but ended with some gasoline thrown on our buck fever fire, let me explain. Tyler had killed the late morning of the fourth day. Earlier that morning before Tyler killed, I had spotted some does off the back side of where we had been glassing. and I mentioned to Tyler that I wonder what the buck looked like that might be with those does. The oak was so thick, one might never know, but even after Tyler's shot...I wondered. Fast forward a few hours later and we were all sitting back at camp admiring our bucks and eating an early dinner before leaving camp towards home.
No comments:
Post a Comment